“POPPY” – accepted into the Kerry International Film Festival 2017 and also the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival 2017
A short film funded by P21 Art Gallery, Camden, London. In association with Noon Vision Creative. Screenplay by Tracy Brabin, Directed & co-produced by Richard Platt & Peter Manoogian.
Richard is an actor’s director with a visual, energetic and fluid narrative style, which is as much about character, performance and storytelling as it is rewardingly entertaining. A winner of the First Film Foundation’s New Directions award, his television work has also been nominated many times, most notably for the breathtaking underwater sequences shot at Pinewood Studios in the first £1million EASTENDERS special for the BBC as well as a Royal Television Society nomination for his episode of CASUALTY. With an eye for detail, emotional integrity, character and nuance, Richard’s visual style never shies away from emotional truth, whether dramatic or comedic, regardless of convention or commercial cliché, whilst constantly revealing meaning in the carefully framed imagery of his work.
CURRENTLY Richard is in pre production on PARADISE UK
- Poppy – short film director Noon Vision
- Velma – short film LAMDA director
- The Big Picture – short film LAMDA director
- Room 17 – short film LAMDA director
- Holby City 2015 BBC1 series director
- Casualty 2014 BBC 1 series director
- Waterloo Road (2014) Shed media for BBC 1 series director
- Holby City (2013) BBC series director
- Casualty (2013), BBC series director
- The Surprize Café – original TV Comedy-Drama series, Producer/director BBC S&PP.
- East Enders BBC series director
- Slater’s in detention BBC worldwide.
- Doctors, BBC Birmingham series Director
- Family Affairs ITV, Pearson Television. Chanel 5 series director
- Mayday, Mayday. Award winning short film (35mm x 25 mins) Director and Screenwriter. Winner of Panavision First Film Foundation’s “New Directions” award.
WRITING CV: KING. Screenplay adaptation of “Operation Elvis”, an award winning stage play by C.P Taylor. BOUNTY Original Screenplay (comedy/drama) THE SURPRIZE CAFÉ. SAILOR BOY (Script) (Screenwriter/director) ABOVE & BEYOND Original Screenplay EDWARD’S HEIRS Original Screenplay Blackfriars Films (in development) COCKLEY’S CUSTOMS, original sit-com commissioned by BBC. Series writer on BBC Radio Four’s satirical weekly comedy revue WEEK-ENDING.
BACK STORY. Before focussing on directing, Richard was a member of Sir Peter Halls Royal National Theatre Company, Michael Bogdanov’s Young Vic Theatre Company and Mike Bradwell’s Hull Truck Theatre Company, performing in the West End, on the South Bank and throughout Europe and the USA. On television Richard was a series regular in the ITV drama series Peak Practice, and has appeared in feature films directed by Ken Russell, Peter Chelsom and Phil Davies. He also wrote and directed for the double act Bowler & Platt, utilising stand-up comedy as a corporate communication tool as part of the Bowler Platt Partnership.
ACTING Feature films • Hold Back the Night: Director Phil Davies for Parallax Pictures • Don’t go breaking my heart: Director Willie Russell for Aviator films • Funny Bones: Writer/Director Peter Chelsom for Hollywood Pictures • The Rainbow: Director Ken Russell for Vestron Pictures. Television includes: • Holby City, The Bill, Peak Practice, Boon, Between the Lines, Oi for England.
TRAINING: The Bristol Old Vic Theatre School.